The North San Juan fire Department was recognized for 150 years of service to the community by the Nevada County Board of Supervisors this week.
In 1862, the citizens of North San Juan contributed funds and labor to build a reservoir for the town, with water from the Eureka Lake Ditch that made a local fire company possible. With George Murphy as the first Fire Chief, on October 13th 1862 Hydraulic Hose Cart #1 was organized, quickly followed on October 29th by Union Hose Cart #2, now on display in the Community Fire Hall in North San Juan. In the early days, when the fire bell rang, men from the hose cart companies would run for their carts and pull them into position by hand, with pressure from the reservoir being so great that no fire engine was needed to pump the water.
Over the past 150 years, there have been many changes. Today the Department includes three fire stations, and three engines, two water tenders, a Type II structure engine and two utility rescue vehicles. Jason Flores has been the Fire Cheif for 4 years and a member of the all volunteer North San Juan Fire Department for 18 years.
The early fundraising committees for the fire district evolved into the North San Juan Fire Auxiliary, whose fundraisers, appreciation events, plant sales and hand-made quilts for the Annual Scotch Broom Breakfast all support the needs of the firefighters. This Saturday there will be a special celebration open to the community celebrating North San Juan Fire Department’s 150 years.
The celebration gets underway in North San Juan at 12 noon this Saturday October 13th.