< Back to All News

Grass Valley House Fire

A home in the 100 block of Ocean Ave caught fire around a bathroom fan which extended to the attic area. Grass Valley Ire engine 1 truck 2, Nevada County consolidated, Nevada City and Ophir hill responded. Upon arrival fire units found a moderate amount of smoke coming from the eves of the home. The man, woman and 10 year old girl had all escaped uninjured. As firefighters went to the roof to vent the fire a quick aggressive fire attack was made to the interior and attic area containing the fire in just a few minutes. Grass Valley Battalion chief David Ray says Attic fires are unique in that often occupants don’t even know there is a fire under it drops down below the attic level

“The thing about this fire here that is typical of a fire that’s up in an attic area, a lot of  times folks are just sitting in their living room not knowing what’s going on above them and around them. In fact, the smoke detectors won’t go off as the smoke is going up, filling the cavity area of the attic and then once the fire comes down through the ceiling is when the smoke detectors go off.”

The fire was fully extinguished and is under investigation. Minimal damage was reported.

Leave A Comment

captcha