Ann Westling Public Affairs Officer for the Tahoe National Forest released news of a Mountain Lion sighting in Nevada City today.
Due to the recent mountain lion attack and heightened public interest, we are alerting the public that a mountain lion was seen east of Nevada City, adjacent to Highway 20, between Skillman and White Cloud Campgrounds on the Hallelujah Trail today. The individual was not attacked; the lion watched them for a bit and then moved on.
For more information on mountain lions, California Department of Fish and Game has good information as to what to do if you encounter a lion.
- Do not hike, bike, or jog alone.
- Avoid hiking or jogging when mountain lions are most active—dawn, dusk, and at night.
- Keep a close watch on small children.
- Do not approach a mountain lion.
- If you encounter a mountain lion, do not run; instead, face the animal, make noise and try to look bigger by waving your arms; throw rocks or other objects. Pick up small children.
- If attacked, fight back.
- If a mountain lion attacks a person,
immediately call 911.