< Back to All News

Nevada City House Fire Started in Chimney

Shortly after 1:00 o’clock  this morning Nevada City Fire Department was called to the scene of a residential structure fire in the 100 block of Grove Street across from Nevada Street.  Nevada City Fire Chief Sam Goodspeed says it was reported as a chimney fire spreading into the attic by the homeowner.  The blaze prompted a swift response from multiple engines.
click here to listen to Sam Goodspeed

Chief  Goodspeed says the  home is in the historic district. Most of the damage caused by the fire is in the attic, plus some smoke and water damage inside.

click here to listen to Sam Goodspeed
Firefighters did a lot of salvage work and overhaul during the night to reduce water and smoke damage to the personal belongings of the homeowners. Goodspeed says the family is staying with friends and all the pets are accounted for.   Some 35 firefighters were on scene until around 5:00 this morning.   and   will be back out   today to check for any hotspots. Goodspeed says the fire started in the chimney and extended into the attic. He says people need to service their chimney’s and flues at least annually.
click here to listen to Sam Goodspeed

Grass Valley Fire Department, Consolidated, Ophir Hill and CAL FIRE assisted, with Penn Valley and Higgins providing coverage for the stations responding.

Leave A Comment

captcha