Nevada County Firefighters responded to 5 separate reported fires in the area on Friday. Nevada County Consolidated Battalion Chief David Ray says the first blaze involved a travel trailer a pickup truck and an adjacent house and was reported at 3:45am on Genes Place in Grass Valley.
“We found a fully involved 20 foot travel trailer adjacent to a house which was catching the porch on fire and a vehicle parked right next to the travel trailer. They were starting to catch on fire when we pulled up.”
The property owner was using a garden hose on the house and firefighters kept the fire away from the structure. But the travel trailer was destroyed.
The Next call came in around 1pm when firefighters responded to a call from a prospective renter checking out a house on French Avenue. Chief Ray says they reported seeing smoke coming from a neighboring house.
“So they called us and we got there just prior to flash over of the bedroom because the bedroom was fully involved and started in the mattress area.”
No one was home at the time. The fire damage was held to the bedroom with smoke damage to adjoining rooms.
The third fire was reported at 5:30 pm. on Stillwater off Banner Mountain Trail where a family had rented the home for a week vacation. Firefighters arrived to all the windows filled with smoke and smoke detectors going off. Chief Ray says the woodstove flume had plugged up.
“It was a woodstove. It went through the wall and went exterior up and had a wood chase around it from the first floor all the way to the second floor, a nice cedar siding, it just cooked it.”
The owner of the home lives in San Francisco but was out of country for the holidays. The family renting the home went to stay with relatives. In addition to those three fires, firefighters also responded to a trailer fire false alarm on South Auburn Street and a small wild land fire where someone had dumped hot ashes from a fireplace on dry grass. Chief Ray says quick response kept all the fires from becoming more serious.