It is so unfortunate to hear about the behavior of our local fans during last Tuesday’s girls basketball playoff game between Sheldon and Nevada Union. At a time that we should have been focusing on a very successful season for the Lady Miners, instead the team, the school and the media have to deal with a handful of knuckleheads harassing and intimidating cheerleaders. Just had author Bill Drake on our talk show this week, talking about unlearning prejudice and how our community has a long way to go. He was spot on correct. Plus, I am always amazed how people immediately wonder what the cheerleaders did to cause the reaction. I can guarantee they did nothing but cheer for the team like they do at any school. Anyone that saw the TV report on KCRA saw that the young ladies were bright, sincere, and still in shock from the verbal assault. It happened…and it cannot happen again. And don’t you dare blame the victims.
Don’t Blame the Victims
More from my site
KNCO Web Comments Guidelines
- Keep it clean. Comments with inappropriate language, no matter how cleverly spelled or decorated will not be posted.
- Comments on the way the story was written or misspelled words will be passed on to the story authors and not posted.
- Please use your real name. Anonymous comments or comments posted using a fake name or web handle may not be posted.
- Please use your real email address so we can contact you.
- No flaming. Any comments that are primarily of a name calling finger pointing nature may not be posted.
- The comment section is not a right it is a privilege. KNCO retains all rights as to what is posted on its website.
I am appalled that our youth acted so badly towards guests to our town. I would like to think that the individuals who were responsible for these actions are a very few "knuckleheads" and that most of our young community members are much better than that! That being said, I am very happy to hear both from yourself, the principal of NU and others in our community that this horrible behavior is not acceptable, and will not be tolerated in the future. I commend everyone for speaking out against this by showing disapproval instead of ducking and hiding from embarrassment! Although we do not have the diversity of other areas, most of us here respect all people without regard to race, religion or sexual preference!