Makes a 9-inch quiche to serve 6
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced, or 2 Tbsp minced green onion
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup chopped, cooked asparagus
- 3 eggs beaten with enough milk or cream to make 1-1/2 cups
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 1/3 cup grated cheese, Cheddar or Gruyère are best
- A 9-inch prebaked pastry shell
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Sauté the shallot in the butter over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the asparagus and stir for a minute or two. Season and let cool.
- Strew 3 Tbsp of the cheese in the shell and add the asparagus.
- Beat eggs and milk or cream together to blend. Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Pour into the shell to 1/4 –inch of the rim. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until puffed and browned.